Interdisciplinary Therapy Assistant (2019-2020)
PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
TUITION & FEES
Total tuition: $11,900.00
Total fees: $2,720.00
Total tuition: $35,700.00
Total fees: $2,720.00
- 60% in English Language Arts 30-1 or 70% in English Language Arts 30-2 or equivalent, or completion of English for Academic Purposes – Reading and Writing EAP II (ESLG1898) and English for Academic Purposes – Listening and Speaking EAP II (ESLG1899) with a minimum of 60%.
- 50% in Mathematics 10C or equivalent*
- 60% in Biology 30 or equivalent
The Interdisciplinary Therapy Assistant diploma program prepares students to work in today's interdisciplinary health care systems. This program will provide students with a strong occupational and physical therapy assistant background, and incorporate essential assistant-level skills in speech language therapy and therapeutic recreation. Equipped with skills in these four rehabilitation disciplines, students will be prepared to meet industry demand and work in various general therapy, rehabilitation, as well as discipline-specific positions. If you enjoy helping people and want a career assisting patients to overcome injuries, or impairments, this diploma program could be for you.
The program delivers theoretical knowledge and hands-on skills using a balance of discipline-specific and interdisciplinary courses.
Program graduates will be prepared to:
- communicate and collaborate as a valuable member of a client-centred interdisciplinary health-care team
- assist with effective physical therapy and occupational therapy practice by providing safe and competent care across client populations
- support other rehabilitation disciplines, including therapeutic recreation and speech-language pathology
- demonstrate effective professionalism, leadership, and reflective practice skills
- work shifts and weekends
- be on your feet for extended periods of time
- use your knees, back, and arms to assist clients
- lift 30 pounds
- touch and provide care for clients of all ages, cultures, and genders
- manage time and resources in a busy work setting
- communicate and collaborate effectively in a team
- enjoy working with people
Note: This new program is founded on the accredited Physical Therapy Assistant diploma program and is seeking accreditation for the first graduating cohort.
The Interdisciplinary Therapy Assistant program is seeking accreditation by the Occupational Therapist Assistant & Physiotherapist Assistant Education Accreditation Program (OTA & PTA EAP) of the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapy Education Accreditation Canada. The program has been granted Candidacy Status, which denotes an affiliation with the OTA & PTA EAP and is a pre-requisite for accreditation of the education program. Candidacy Status does not assure that the program will be granted accreditation status once the program undergoes a full accreditation review.
For information regarding accreditation contact: OTA & PTA EAP, c/o PEAC, Suite 26, 509 Commissioners Road West, London, Ontario.