Step forward into
PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
TUITION & FEES
- Language Arts – this requirement can be met with any of the following, or an equivalent course:
- Mathematics – this requirement can be met with any of the following, or an equivalent course:
- 60% in Mathematics 20-1 or 70% in Mathematics 20-2
- 50% in Mathematics 30-1 or 60% in Mathematics 30-2
- 60% in MATH 1524
- Biology – this requirement can be met with the following, or an equivalent course:
- 60% in Biology 30
One of the largest in Canada, NorQuest’s Practical Nurse program will prepare you to play a vital, frontline role in providing high-quality care to clients in a variety of health-care settings.
Students are more likely to be successful in this program if they:
- are physically and emotionally able to manage workplace demands
- have access to a vehicle to travel to complete their clinical practice
- have access to a computer and Internet, and basic computer skills
- are able to demonstrate professional and ethical behaviour
Applicants are requested to assess their ability to fulfill the demands of the occupation of practical nurse. As a practical nurse, you must be able to:
- work shifts and weekends
- be on your feet for extended periods of time
- use your knees, back, and arms to move clients who have minimal body strength
- provide care to support people of various diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds, gender identities, sexual preferences, and socio-economic status
- function effectively in stressful situations
- perform all skills independently
Students are required to travel to various locations in order to complete their clinical practice. Access to a vehicle may be required.
Refer to the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta website for more information about becoming a licensed practical nurse.
This program includes four practicums totalling 680 hours of clinical practice.