Health Care Aide PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition)
PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
|There are no further intakes available for this academic year.|
- Minimum of English Language Arts 10-1 (or provincial equivalent) or successful completion of NorQuest academic assessment
- 600 hours of experience in the last three years as a health-care worker, documented with a proof-of-employment letter from the employer(s).
The Health Care Aide PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition) is a certification process for individuals who have directly related work experience in the past three years, but do not currently have a certificate that is recognized in Alberta.
This would include:
- Individuals who have been working as a nursing attendant or personal support worker, but do not have a certificate currently recognized in Alberta.
- Other candidates may include nurses or nursing attendants trained in another country who have experience in geriatric care and believe they have the skills and knowledge to meet the standards for a NorQuest Health Care Aide certificate.
- Practical Nurse students who have successfully completed their continuing care theory and practicum may also apply.
When you begin the process, you will receive an individual learner plan for self-study and skills assessment to achieve the level of proficiency required for the Health Care Aide certificate.
Contact the Faculty of Health and Community Studies at 780.644.6370 to request your HCA PLAR application.