Optical Office Assistant
PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
TUITION & FEES
This fast-paced 12-week program will prepare you to work as a valued member of an optical team. Students will learn administrative skills to help coordinate and manage patient care, as well as basic pretesting skills used in optical practices, clinics, and other related settings. This program will provide students with knowledge of optical terminology and applications and will prepare them to perform administrative tasks such as scheduling appointments, billing, customer service and using optical software.
Optical office assistants play an important role in supporting ophthalmologists, optometrists, ophthalmic technicians, and opticians while helping to provide a positive experience for patients and clients.
Students are more likely to be successful in this program if they:
- enjoy working with the public
- are physically and emotionally able to manage workplace demands
- have access to transportation to complete their practicum
- have access to a computer, internet connection, and basic keyboarding/computer skills
- are able to work shift work
- are able to dedicate 40-50 hours per week for full-time studies
- work well in a team environment
- are able to work 150 hours, four weeks of full-time work to complete the practicum including day, evening, or night shifts on any day of the week, including weekends and holidays
- can type 45 words per minute before the program starts
This program is not recommended for international students as the work permit required for the practicum may not arrive in time.